Thursday, February 4, 2010

Getting Older

I have these sudden flashes about my age, like when my hands and feet ache the first few minutes after I get up in the morning, or when I say, "I'm not 40, just almost 38." Then it seems funny. I wonder if I'll get to do all the things around here I want to do, and I wonder how much time I have to get them done. Is that a mid-life crisis? Isn't it funny to say a sentence like that about yourself?

Jason gets antsy when I point out his gray hairs or when I wonder whether I'll have arthritis like my mother and grandmothers. I get antsy when I think of how long my back or shoulders or whatever will let me do the work I have never quite gotten to. Now, when we're finally ready to farm/homestead, I worry a bit that we've come quite late to the game. There is so much to learn and do.

Still, how lovely to be almost 40, and feel excitement about all I have to learn and do in the next few (or many) years.

No comments:

Post a Comment