The recipe is from The Pastry Queen by Rebecca Rather.
1 C unsalted butter
1/2 C dutch process cocoa powder (Yes, the dutch process part matters.)
3/4 C cool coffee
2 C sugar
1 C buttermilk
2 T (yes, tablespoons) Vanilla extract
2 C flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
- Melt the butter in a saucepan, gently
- Whisk in the cocoa, stir until smooth.
- Whisk in the coffee til smooth
- DO NOT BOIL!
- Off the heat, mix in the sugar, eggs, and buttermilk and whisk smooth.
- Whisk in the flour, baking soda, and salt until incorporated, a few lumps are okay.
- Pour into pans and bake.
1/2 C butter (unsalted)
1/4 C WHOLE milk
1/2 C cocoa powder
2 C sifted confectioners sugar
1 T vanilla
1/4 tsp Salt
- Over low heat, melt the butter, then whisk in the milk, cocoa, and powdered sugar.
- Off heat, whisk in the vanilla and salt.
- Pour over cooled cake, allow to set