Thursday, August 27, 2009

Unicorn or pegasus?

I am very comfortable with death, so the childrens' regular surges in curiosity about death do not bother me at all. Sylvie has been in just such a surge for about a year, and during dinner, she asked, "Isn't it bad that people die and make us sad?"

I answered, "It's not bad. We miss people when they die, but sometimes, it's just time to die. It's fine for us to miss them, but it's also fine to die."

She cocked her head to one side and said, "When I die, I am going to tell god I want to be a unicorn next time."

Phaedra jumped in with, "Then they'll put you in a zoo. I am going to tell heaven I want to be a pegasus so I can escape."

I figure there's some heresy in all that, but mostly, I just like how calmly they go around and around, and maybe I'll tell god I want to be a pegasus, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment